1 fresh Texie’s snoek
1Tbs olive oil
Ground black pepper
150 ml apricot jam
100 ml butter or olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 red chilli’s, chopped (optional)
1. Head to Texie’s for some fresh snoek. Ask your Fishmonger to clean and gut the fish for you. It will be their pleasure.
2. Wash the snoek under cold water and dry with a kitchen towel.
3. Place the fish into heavy based foil and fold the sides so they can catch the basting.
4. Salt the fish (This will absorb any extra liquid from washing the fish) and grind over pepper.
5. Melt the butter in a pot. (over the braai or on the stove) Add the garlic, olive oil, apricot jam, lemon juice and chilli Mix until well blended.
6. Generously baste the fish with the sauce.
7. Place the fish on the braai and cook for 15 minutes until cooked through and the fish flakes easily. (Remember this is a guideline as the cooking time will vary depending the on the heat of coals, height of grid and size of snoek. )
Chef’s note: If you prefer to cook the fish straight on the grid, smear the skin side with oil to prevent it sticking to the grid.